Friday, March 6, 2009

What a week...

Well, I don't even know if anybody's still reading our blog since it's been so long since we've posted on here, but here goes.

For those of you who don't know, I (Calvin) have been student teaching since the middle of January, at Tulare Union High School.  I have two weeks left, then I'm going to another school.  This week was National Foreign Language Week, which basically translates to a week of craziness for our department.  All week we had songs in class, dress-up days, lots of extra credit opportunities, and lots of crazy activities.  Wednesday was the NFLW assembly, which got about 800 students together in the auditorium, for songs and poetry in Spanish and Portuguese (the two languages taught at our school).  There was lots of dancing, including some really good Portuguese folk dancing, and all the Spanish students sang De Colores together!  So much fun!  It was also a great opportunity for me to be a part of the school, and part of the department as a whole.  Thursday we had a department lunch- actually the lunch was for the whole school, but our department is banished to the other side of the street so we kept some of the food for ourselves (oh yeah, our department provided the food) and had lunch as a department.  Mexican pozole, Portuguese baked beans and linguiƧa sandwiches, Portuguese rice pudding...I haven't eaten so much in a while!
To finish off the week, at the end of each class today we brought the kids outside all together (five classes) and all did the chicken dance.  With my class, fifth period, which is the main one I teach, I bribed them with extra credit points, so we dominated the chicken dance.

I'll let Kelli catch everybody up at some point on other stuff we've had going on, but here's a preview: Recent Disneyland trip (pictures to follow) and lots of subbing for Kelli, including a real lockdown.

2 comments:

The Schmidts said...

I was wondering when I'd hear about your student teaching! Sounds like you're having fun. -Rhiannon

Ann said...

DeColores!